THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Monday, May 31, 2010

I'm now a Southern Cake Lady

May 30, 2010

LOOK AT WHAT I MADE!!
Josh planned a surprise birthday party for Erin and his friend Nathan, and Beverly asked me to help her make the cakes for them. I jumped at the opportunity to learn a bit more, especially since she's taken all the Hobby Lobby courses and surpassed them!

This is Erin and Nathan blowing out their "unity candle." (We didn't use candles on the cake because it would ruin them!)

She began by showing me how make the daisies and leaves out of gum paste, so on Friday and Saturday I made little daisies and medium daisies and all the leaves.

Then Saturday after Beverly baked the cakes, she showed me how to make the buttercream icing and color it and thin it and cover the cakes with a "crumb coat" and then ice them, all the while smoothing it out. (It is a PAIN to ice a daisy-shaped cake! :)

Sunday morning I got up before church and edged the cake with alternating daisies and make the bunch of flowers in the middle as the flower center and wrote "Happy Birthday Erin!" and piped the star edging.
I can't believe I wrote her name so prettily and neatly in cursive! AND I LOVED adding the little daisy and leaf on her name. It just makes me so happy.

I had no idea that I was going to end up being the sole decorator of Erin's cake! It wasn't perfect by any means, but I am very proud of my first "professional" cake. :)

Happy (early) birthday, Erin! I hope you liked your daisy cake. :)

For Nathan's cake, I iced the chocolate cake in white icing, and Beverly piped on a black mesh cage on the sides and placed a fondant fight glove on top. (Nathan is really into the UFC game. I learned sooo much designing this cake!) Finally, I added the words. I think he was impressed, too.

Zach is sooo impressed with my mad cake-making skills. He thought my daisies were purchased at the grocery store and said it was beautiful. Many people at the party said it was too pretty to eat!!

It's so much fun to make silly faces with my husby. This was my favorite of the night!


0 comments: