THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Monday, May 3, 2010

Remembering My Daddy

Nine years ago my daddy passed away.

It came as a such a shock to everyone, even me, but I had somewhat expected it. I've never been confused about my parents' mortality. I always knew they were their own "persons" before they were "parents." Usually this thought was a comfort, but I felt betrayed on that day: how could this happen to my daddy?!

A lot has happened in those nine years. I graduated high school and college, and this week I am graduating with my master's degree. I grew up, fell in love, and got married. I am very different from the sixteen-year-old girl I was nine years ago. If I wasn't, I would be disappointed. It's hard to believe next year it will be ten years.

Not a day goes by that I don't think about my daddy--and miss him and miss the person I never got to know because he died when I was still a child. But I know he is always with me, and I know that someday I will be with him again.

I love you, Daddy. Always.

Clement Coleman Byrd
10/10/41-5/3/01

0 comments: