THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Friday, April 16, 2010

The Best Book You're Not Reading: The Hunger Games

April 15, 2010

[photo courtesy casacamisas.wordpress.com]

I presented for the fourth time in the Fourth Annual UCA Graduate Conference. My paper was on Suzanne Collins' 2008 The Hunger Games. It is an amazing adolescent read, and I recommend it to everyone. It is a book that you literally cannot put down! I also enjoyed the sequel, 2009's Catching Fire, and I cannot wait for Mockingjay, which is being released this year. AND I really want a Mockingjay pin!

My paper examined Katniss's actions of self-silencing, resulting from the loss of freedoms in Panem as embodied in the Hunger Games, in Foucauldian terms of discourse and punishment. Wow. I can't believe I just typed that; moreover, it's hard to believe that I wrote a paper on this...or that I understood Foucault enough to write a paper on this. *haha*

It was not a good day. I had next to zero sleep, and my allergies were in full form. I wasn't too nervous until the first presenter started, and then I panicked that my paper was too short. *lol* My paper was originally 30 pages long, and I cut it down to just over seven. That is quite an accomplishment in itself, yes?

Ironically, I felt most confident regarding the questions that were asked. (This is usually the part I fear!) I hope that is a good omen for my thesis defense next week...

I wore my suit for the first time to the conference. I have lost some weight...and I am not sure how! (But I'm not complaining!) My skirt rotated around while I was walking across campus, which was a little embarrassing. It was so humid and hot yesterday, I melted as soon as I stepped outside. Here are some photos taken after the conference. (Notice how my hair has fallen flat, and my makeup has melted away=ick. :( )

0 comments: