THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Monday, June 14, 2010

Fairy Cakes are much better than Cupcakes...the way the Flurry was SOOO better than the Creamslush, Sonic!


[photo courtesy http://elizabethjamescakes.co.uk/index.php?module=gallery]

Did you know that cupcakes are often called "fairy cakes" in England?

Daily I am affirmed in my belief that England is one of the most charming places in the world to live. :)

A common shape that "fairy cakes" take is in the form of a "butterfly cake." These are created by scooping out the middle, filling it with icing/cream/jam, and splitting the scoop in two to top the cake like wings. Finally you dust with powdered sugar. So precious, so sweet. I would have loved this as a little girl!

I'm not much of a cake eater, but, in learning to decorate them more professionally, I have become obsessed with cakes of all sizes and shapes and flavors.

Check out these popular bakeries in England:
The Hummingbird Bakery (which serves American-quality cakes) http://hummingbirdbakery.com/
Crumbs and Doilies http://www.crumbsanddoilies.co.uk/home.html

There is also something called "fairy bread," which is toast covered in butter/margarine/honey that is then sprinkled with jimmies, colored sugar, or what you will. It is found more in Australia, and, while I think I would find it disgusting, I know US kids who flocked to ketchup of every color in the rainbow would love it!

In other news, whilst stumbling across these cake tidbits (that makes me smile), Zach was snuggling next to me in our living room during the Italy vs. Paraguay game. He always likes to stretch out across me and hold my hand, but usually I move if I'm working (er, playing) away on Edgar.

Not today. He simply put Edgar atop his lap, and I continued business as usual! He said he didn't want me to go. :)

This last picture is when he finally just turned Edgar around and held onto him while I scrolled. *hehe*


P.S. I'm getting an iPhone (Zach's old one) soon!

0 comments: