THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Saturday, October 9, 2010

CCR = yummy

October 9, 2010

I know this does not look like the most appealing meal in the world, but it was: red beans and rice, fried cabbage, and homemade Cheddar Bay biscuits.

Weird combo? *lol* Zach wanted some Zatarain's and his favorite food in the world (Red Lobster biscuits), and I had some cabbage I needed to use up. Cabbage stays fresh for a lo-o-ong time, but who knows when I will get to cook again this week. ;)

Originally I had planned to make colcannon, which, if you do not know, is an Irish dish of mashed potatoes and cabbage. How Irish can you get?

Well, you can throw in some corned beef, but that would not be true to form. Bubble and Squeak is a similar British dish in which leftover vegetables from Sunday's roast dinner is fried and served with cold meat. (And Rusty could not understand why I was dying to have roast and Yorkshire pudding on Sunday! It's tradition! At least I finally found some--on Monday, might I point out--and it was a HUGE dish. No wonder they eat the leftovers the next day. This same dish is called Rumbledethumps in Scotland. (I also dream of making lumpy bumpy cake. We have such boring food names here. *tehe*)

I also read that it was a Halloween tradition in Ireland to hide coins in colcannon, like the British do with Christmas plum pudding.

Anyway, one of these days I will make colcannon and Lumpy Bumpy chocolate cake, but tonight I settled on Southern fried cabbage because we already had a lot of starch in our meal. It really wasn't your traditional "Southern fried" because I started frying the turkey bacon first and used the bit of fat from that, which is NOT very much if you have ever used turkey bacon, plus a tiny amount of olive oil so it wouldn't all burn in the pan. In addition to the cabbage and bacon I added some green onions before they wilted away. Someone had commented on this recipe and suggested that you generously salt and pepper the dish. Let me tell you, I have a heavy pepper hand. :)

It was delicious--very simple and, might I add, cheap fare (about 50 cents a serving). I know it doesn't look like much, but it was good Southern comfort food.

0 comments: