THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Monday, September 27, 2010

Rooting It

The parsnips don't look as pale in this picture.

I sauteed the onions in butter for 10 and then cooked them on low for another 20...and finally simmered them in the broth for at least two hours...and they're STILL crispy!

September 26, 2010

Today I used my new (and free!) cookbook by Brenda Roscher for cooking for IBD's (Irritable Bowel Diseases: Crohn's and Colitis), and made homemade French onion soup and roasted root vegetables. I found it a little odd that so many onion recipes were in the cookbook because, well, you know.

I still don't know how the onions are STILL crispy after simmering for hours...and I did probably put a touch too much of wine...but the soup was delish.

But the vegetables were truly the best part! I could go on and on about my love for roasted potatoes and carrots--especially when they are sprinkled with rosemary. (I really need to mix up some herbes de Provence to make it really special.) These were wonderful, and I discovered a new vegetable I enjoy: parsnips.

They're a relative of the carrot, appearing just like your average carrot with a much paler skin. I think they have a stronger carrot flavor, though I read they sometimes taste like a mixture of carrots and sweet potatoes. Either way, they were yummy in this dish of carrots, potatoes, and celery! (I omitted the onion as I pretty much used all the onion in the state for the soup. ;)

I regret I didn't have the nerve to try a bite of the parsnips raw...
Thank goodness I chose these over the rutabagas!

0 comments: